Tuesday, March 18, 2014

it's a....

Stefan and I knew from the get-go we wanted to find out what we were having.  We're planners at heart and it seemed odd to have the option to know, but choose not to simply for the element of surprise.  (Although I do admit it would serve as good incentive for the final push.)

Strategically, I scheduled our 16-week/4-month ultrasound on my birthday.  We both knew it was a tad bit early to find out the gender (they usually tell you at 20 weeks) but there was a shot and we figured we'd take it.  

Rather than find out during the appointment, we planned to ask our technician to write it down on a sheet of paper and seal it up for us to open later.  We'd then go out for my birthday dinner that night (at a fabulously romantic French spot we both adore) and give the sheet to the waiter.  For dessert, we'd order two decadent dishes: one for him to bring if the paper read "girl", and one if it read "boy".

As we walked into our appointment, we shared our plan with the technician.  As we began the scan, I watched the screen with razor hawk eyes.  I, of course, wanted to be surprised, buuuuut I also wanted to see if I could figure it out myself.

About 5 minutes in - after sizing our growing baby's head and counting its toes and going (from my understanding) nowhere near its lady or gentleman parts - we reminded her: 
"And if you could take a look at the gender, that would be great too!"
"Oh, I know already know."
"Like totally sure know?"
"100%."

We left the appointment mind-boggled.  We had our eyes glued to the screen and hadn't had the slightest inkling of what our little one was - how could she possibly know?  The hour and half before our reservation seemed like an eternity.  We occupied ourselves by debating names, but the conversation ultimately unraveled into whether we thought it was a boy or a girl.  Not exactly a way to speedily pass the time.  

When we finally made it to dinner, we plowed through our first and second courses and onto dessert in no time.  We told our choices to the waiter and waited what seemed like ages until he brought it out.

He strategically covered it with a champagne bucket to further build anticipation.  All restaurant eyes were on us.  I could barely breath I was so excited.


He ceremoniously lifted the bucket to reveal...
A CHOCOLATE TORTE!

I was so overwhelmed by the whole situation that I completely forgot what a chocolate torte was for - was it a boy or a girl?

Thankfully Stefan had kept his wits about him and delivered the news:
IT'S A GIRL!


We are over the moon excited and cannot wait to meet our little lady.

xoxo
KK

4 comments:

  1. Oh mon dieu! What a terrific story - and what incredible news! A wee lady. Congratulations mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats!! you guys are so cute to find out that way, i love this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwwww wow!!!! congratulations!! i can't believe you got to find out so early! having a little girl is WONDERFUL! get excited!! as if you aren't ;) ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katherine! I'm Heather and I was wondering if you would be willing to answer my question about your blog! If you could email me at Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com I would greatly appreciate it :-)

    ReplyDelete

We absolutely love hearing from you! Leave us a note here: