Tuesday, July 15, 2014

sunday in the sunset

On Sunday (with Stefan out of town for some weddings and some business - his last trip pre-baby!), I opted to take full advantage of the time to explore the highlights of our quazi-new neighborhood.  Since we moved in January, it's been a whirlwind of studying and traveling and checking things off our list, so we haven't had as much time as I would have liked to really get to know the best things to do in the area.

Top on my list was a trip to the Farmer's Market.  Obviously nothing compares to the Ferry Building one that most San Francisco tourists frequent when paying a visit to the city, but the Sunset puts on a Sunday version that pulls out all the necessary stops as well.






There's nothing like some crunchy radishes with copious amounts of salt.
(And butter - as they do it in Europe!)



I'm not usually a stone fruit fan, but this time of year they are just too good to resist.




Next up was a stop by Arizmendi Bakery for a quick coffee and some freshly-baked, organic bread for later.  This worker-owned cooperative has a cult-like following in the city.  So much so that one time when I found myself in the Post Office around the corner asking for quarters for a parking meter, the woman replied: "We aren't supposed to give out quarters, but (glancing at my tell-tale brown paper bag) since I see you're an Arizmendi affectionado, I'll make an exception," as she slid me a roll of the good stuff.


Then I was off to Outerlands - a trendy spot that also garners cult-like fanfare.  Brunch with 2+ in your party usually requires at least an hour-long wait (well worth it for their goods!), but as a singleton I slid into a spot at the bar and pulled out my Economist with zero wait time.  


I opted for their signature brunch dish: Eggs in Jail - a pouched egg in their to-die-for levain toast topped with heirloom tomatoes and a piece of bacon.  
Outrageously good.



While we will always love and very much miss our old neighborhood (Pacific Heights - where we first moved in together, got married and enjoyed newlywed life), there's lots of good hidden charms in the Sunset.  Definitely enough to make a Sunday out of it.

xoxo
KK

No comments:

Post a Comment

We absolutely love hearing from you! Leave us a note here: