Tuesday, September 16, 2014

my (real) first dinner out

So I lied in my post last Friday.
Foreign Cinema wasn't technically my first dinner out.

We have two cars: 
one super nice one (a luxurious BMW that I feel totally spoiled driving), and 
an old, on-its-last-legs one (a 2002 Saab convertible handed down from my fabulous Aunt Jules).

We love the Saab dearly and have had so many fantastic memories with it, but it has seen better days.  We've had to replace the clutch (thank you SF hills!), repair broken-into windows, get jump-started more than our fair share of times, and duct-tape the front light (thanks to my awesome driving skills).  The right-hand mirror is cracked, the coolant leaks, and the roof no longer works.

Like in any fair and completely equitable marriage, Stefan drives the Saab and I get the BMW.

One day when he was driving his fine automobile home from the office, it decided to stop in the middle of an incredibly busy intersection.  
In the middle of rush hour.

After several very long minutes of incessant honking and finger flicking from passerby-ers, someone stopped to help him push it into the nearest parking lot:


Image
from here


The luxurious Lucky Penny restaurant, complete with a tantalizing view of said extremely busy intersection and easy access to public storage.  What more could you ask for?

Thankfully, we have Triple A, but unfortunately, it is under my name only.  Stefan had to head home so I could take over figuring out how to solve our newest Saab debacle.  

Once I arrived, I called Triple A and explained the issue.  They assured me they'd be there within 45 minutes.  I headed inside to hang out:



Its interior was just as extravagant as its exterior.  As I sat down, the waitress quickly let me know there was a strict must-spend-at-least-$5 policy.  I assured her I was one to follow the rules.

I checked out the menu.
It included every possible diner item imaginable with lots of this type of fare:


from here


Assuming I'd be home in time for dinner, I ordered the fruit salad with yogurt.

"What type of dressing do you want on your salad, ma'am?"
I answered back with a blank stare.
"We got ranch, italian, balsamic, or thousand island - that one is my favorite."
"Ummm...I'm going to be totally crazy and go dressing-less for this one."
"As you wish, ma'am."

The salad was delish, but I'd say my decision was a good choice.

Unfortunately, Triple A did not deliver on their promise to arrive within 45 minutes and I had the pleasure of another two and a half hours of hanging out at Lucky Penny.  While I was waiting, I went hog wild and ordered a glass of wine.
Which wine you ask?
THE wine.
There was no description of its color or origin, rather just a $5 price-tag.
(It was red two-buck chuck for the record.)

Eventually the tow truck arrived and I bid adieu to the Saab and my new waitress friends.  

Lucky Penny - you were good, but I'm not sure we'll see each other again.  

xoxo
KK


1 comment:

  1. Could not stop laughing at The Wine - me and Kev both! This is tied for first with your gym bag/work dress extravaganza. xx

    ReplyDelete

We absolutely love hearing from you! Leave us a note here: