Tuesday, September 23, 2014

persimmons, husk cherries + cornmeal toast

On Saturday, we made a trip to the Ferry Building Farmer's Market.  We used to frequent this hot spot regularly, but with the move and work schedules and Samantha, it had been ages since we'd pay it a visit.  While I'd like to say my motivation in going there was completely altruistic (wanting to show our guests a San Francisco staple), it was actually quite selfish: with persimmon season starting any day now, I was hoping I might be able to nab some of these prized jewels.

Fortunately, I was in luck.



While the market didn't have the plethora of varieties I was hoping for, there was one stand that was rocking some coveted first-of-the-season Hachiyas.  I obviously couldn't leave without some.  

In addition to the persimmons and some super sweet summer peaches, we got another farmer's market favorite of mine: Juju Bes.


While Nonno and I have similar tastes in most things (strawberry jam by the spoonful, mushrooms with just about anything, and arriving early to all things), he was NOT a fan of these little treats.

We I did lots of sampling of all things.  Our very polite Swiss guests opted to mostly just look rather take advantage of the free food.  



I, on the other hand, nabbed every giveaway I could get my hands on, which equated to about 2.5 times a normal person's lunch.


Free samples?
Yes please!

We also stumbled upon a fruit I had never seen before:


husk or ground cherries

Thinking this would be the first and last time I saw these weird-looking snacks, I obviously opted to sample.  They did not disappoint.

Later that night we took Edith and Urs out to Michelin-starred restaurant Sons & Daughters as a 60th birthday present to Stefan's dad.  We did the restaurant's seven-course dinner with wine pairings, and lo and behold, not one but two courses featured these exact same mystery fruits!  We had a heirloom tomato soup with basil creme and ground cherries to start and then candied versions of the special fruit as an extra finale post final course.

In addition to our 7 courses, we got three amazing bread courses: a mini caraway rye loaf, handmade pretzel rolls, and - my personal favorite - cornmeal toast:



We had such a wonderful time wining and dining and chatting, before we knew it, it was midnight!  Always the sign of a fabulous evening.



Tune back in tomorrow for how we worked off our very decadent Saturday night!

xoxo
KK

1 comment:

  1. Love, love, love all of your updates! Thank you for sharing your adventures (and all the pics of the adorable Samantha)! Lots of love from London!

    ReplyDelete

We absolutely love hearing from you! Leave us a note here: