Thursday, September 12, 2013

a swiss bet

The first time I was ever in Switzerland was three years ago this past August.  

Stefan and I had just started dating, and though things were still quite new, we knew it was a fantastic idea to take advantage of some time in between jobs to spend a month together in Venezuela (learning Spanish and how to kite surf) and then a month together in Switzerland.  
In Switzerland, we did all sorts of very Swiss things (like take long hikes in the Alps and eat Swiss sausages and visit cheese factories tucked away into the mountains).  But on one particular day on this trip (one we spent in Davos with Stefan's father), I made a bet that I would be able to speak Swiss German by the end of 2011.  

(It was summer of 2010 at the time, and a year and a half seemed like more than enough time to learn a language that requires you to learn an entire other language (High German) before you can even begin to learn it.)



here we are on that faithful day

Well, as I'm sure you already know, I lost that bet long ago.
But once I paid out for my loss (a nice dinner out for the four of us), I signed on for another: Hoch Deutsch by the end of 2014.

And so while I spent August in der Schweiz going to class and doing homework and taking tests every single day, the real test for me was when I spent an afternoon, evening, and night with Stefan's father and his wife.  
Talking only Deutsch.

The story on how it went comes tomorrow.
Stay tuned.

xoxo
KK

No comments:

Post a Comment

We absolutely love hearing from you! Leave us a note here: