Tuesday, September 18, 2012

thanks.

So I have this very serious issue when it comes to the use of the phrase "thanks."  
(That is: "thanks" plus a period when in written context - email, IM, letter.)

Now you may think that all "thanks" are created equal, but let me tell you - for anyone working under you or reporting to you or doing something for you, that is NOT the case.

See, I've spent many a year being a subordinate (from interning before and during college to my 4+ years post) which has allowed me plenty of time to experience written "thanks" of all kinds.  After doing something for the person I worked for, there were the 
"Thanks!" and the 
"Thank you so much!!!" and the 
"THANK YOU!!! THIS IS FANTASTIC!!" and the 
"Thanks." or - even worse - "Thx."

When I worked for Stefan (yes, for those of you unaware of this incredible scandal, Stefan was previously my boss), he fell into the "Thanks." category.  Any time I'd update a slide or send him an analysis or find him a stat, he'd send back a cold and heartless "Thanks."  It was infuriating.  

I finally explained this to him not too long ago:

See a "thanks" plus a period has the subtext of:
"I'm not really thankful for what you've done.  I expect it of you.  I'm merely saying this nicety because I feel like I should.  Do what you're paid to do."
A "thanks." sounds like this:


But a "thanks" dressed in ANY other way ("thanks!" or "thank you so much!!") has the subtext of:
"I really appreciate what you've done.  Thank you!"
That kind of thank you sounds like this:




He had no idea.  He had thought his "thanks." qualified as "thanks."
What was he thinking!

Which is why I am bringing you this public service announcement today.  
If you're not an exclamation point type of person, don't fret: you can still go for the simple "thanks" but take the ten seconds to add something like "Thanks, I really appreciate this." or "Thank you - this is good work."  or "Thanks, this is extremely helpful."  It will make ALL the difference to that little worker bee working below you.  Trust me.

xoxo
KK

2 comments:

  1. This is my favorite thing on the internet right now. EXACTLY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha this was fantastic. Thanks! for posting.

    ReplyDelete

We absolutely love hearing from you! Leave us a note here: