Wednesday, December 12, 2012

christmas cookies

If you think Americans take their Christmas baking seriously, just wait until you encounter the Swiss around this time of year.  Baking (and then having a fully stocked supply of) Christmas cookies in the house is not an option, it is an absolute must.

Stefan introduced me to the joys of Swiss cookies last year around this time.  While we tried our best to craft traditional versions of his favorites, what resulted was almost identifiable. 



   

But to my credit, it wasn't all my fault.  Swiss cookie making requires a plethora of tools - not only your traditional food processor (to chop nuts and puree vanilla beans) and stand mixer (to knead doughs and beat egg whites), but also a whole host of other Swiss-made gadgets to propel your cookies to perfection: special cookie cutters and dough thickness measuring sticks.

Luckily this year - thanks to last year's Christmas presents from my mother-in-law and this year's wedding presents from some awesome guests, we were fully prepared for the feat.

It all started with those two wonderful kitchen appliances:

Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer showing its stuff
Cuisinart Food Processor resting on the dish 
drying rack after a tough day's work

I'll be totally honest: the only reason I registered for a stand mixer was because I thought it looked pretty sitting on the counter.  I had absolutely no idea what I would use it for, nor if I ever would - all I wanted was for it to stand proudly, always conveying a sense of purpose.  Problem was: our shoebox-size kitchen wasn't exactly conducive to putting the beauty out on display, so it had been stored away in our cabinet since its arrival.

This cookie making extravaganza was its first debut and boy, oh, boy was I in for a treat.  Do you all have one of these things?  It is like 40 expert bakers packed into one.  It kneaded all four of my doughs into a perfect consistency, whipped my egg whites into the fluffiest, most decadent meringue, and then did all the dishes.  Kidding on that last one, but you get the drift.  I am officially in love. 
(For more profession of love for the stand mixer, check out Design Mom.)

Once my doughs were prepped (in next to no time, mind you) and rested (in quite a bit of time, unfortunately), it was onto the cutting.

Thanks to my trusty dough thickness measuring sticks, I rolled to perfection - optimizing for equality on all cookie dimensions.        

Basler Brunsli in process 
a delicious gluten-free, almond, chocolate, spice cookie
(check out saveur for the recipe)

Spitz buben
recipe here

Zimtsterne
another delicious gluten-free option, 
these cinnamon-almond stars are topped 
with a crunchy meringue 
recipe here

Basler Brunsli in boxes

Packing them all up 
Mailanderli included - recipe here
(as Stefan informed me: a must-make given 
they're the only recipe that calls for yolks; 
all the others require whites only - 
gotta love that Swiss optimization!)


All set to go to friends!

Although the process was a lot easier (and cleaner) than last year's, it still took quite a lot of time.  Even though the doughs were done in no time, cutting and baking required some serious manpower.  
Three nights' worth, in fact. 

 

The perfect excuse to catch up on the latest season of Nashville.  (Do you watch?  You should y'all.)

All in all - a successful year in this Swiss tradition.  And since it was our first as an "official" Swiss household, perhaps last years' disaster doesn't count?
 
Do you have any Christmas treats you make every year?

xoxo
KK 

1 comment:

  1. All of these look so yummy! I can't remember the last time I made cookies, kinda sad right?! P.S I usually don't watch shows like Nashville, but I can't help it. I got sucked in! haha

    ReplyDelete

We absolutely love hearing from you! Leave us a note here: