Thursday, August 22, 2013

salats im hagenbuch

This past week (when I needed a break from Swiss cheese and chocolate), Stefan's mom and I decided to head to the ONE restaurant in the village for a dinner together.  Lucky for me, this one restaurant happens to be known for their excellent Salattellers (salad plates) - exactly what I was craving on this particular day.

We walked with the dog a mere 5 minutes through the village to arrive at the spot:


While nothing fancy, the little spot had a real, small-town charm about it.



In such a small village, everyone knows everyone - we were greeted as though we were family.  The whole scene was straight out of a storybook: the place was own and run by a husband and wife team who lived inside, there was a communal table for the village's farmers to come and drink a Bier and eat a Wurst, and one man arrived on horseback to drive a coffee and say hello.  We were even allowed to bring the dog to lay under the table as we ate.


I was thrilled when I saw their specials for the evening: salad, salad, and more salad.


But if you know der Schweiz, you know that not all Swiss salads are for those with healthy on their list of top priorities.  A Wurst Salat, for example, consists of cervelat (sausage), cheese, egg, and dressing.  Yeah, I hear you - I was skeptical at first too, but let me tell you: it is a total ace.

While I do love a good Wurst Salat, knowing that no one could make a better one than Stefan's mom, I knew I'd be disappointed should I order one here.  We opted to share the Fitnessteller (Fitness Salad Plate) and the Grosssalatteller (The Biggest Salad Plate) - the healthiest options of the bunch.

The "Fitness" Plate came with fried fish or chicken nuggets :)

We went with the fish and it was top-notch

After licking our plates clean, we said good-bye...


...and took the dog walking on the long way home, a perfect half hour to digest our oh-so-healthy dinner before heading to bed.


Afterwards, I felt refreshed and ready for more cheese.  

xoxo
KK


No comments:

Post a Comment

We absolutely love hearing from you! Leave us a note here: