Wednesday, December 21, 2011

on being bad

I'll just come right out and say it: I've always been one of those people who really doesn't like things that I'm not good at.  I hate to admit it (but it is 100% true): I really, really like to be the best.

One of the (many) things I'm not first string at is golf.  I just don't have the patience and persistence to practice enough to improve my swing off the tee or my stroke out of the rough or my putt on the green.  BUT my dad, and now mom, adore the sport, so in the Christmas spirit of doing things for others, and in the interest of overcoming an admittedly bad trait of mine (not partaking in those things in which I am not supremely skilled), I decided to give golf a shot this week.  I was sure with enough concentration and will, I'd be able to overcome my skill-less-ness and play a quasi-decent round.

So yesterday, my dad, mom, brother, and I packed up our clubs and drove down to the gorgeous Gasparilla Golf Club towards the other end of the island.  I picked up my handy dandy score card, secured myself a bright yellow ball (so I could easily track its defiance against my intentions), and tried my best to look the part.



But despite my best laid plans, my skills were no better. 

Let's play "Find KK's Ball":

Dead straight center in the back of the pit.
A tad bit messy to get out.

I found this one aesthetically pleasing,
which made the pain of getting out
(and raking up my disaster)
at least a bit bearable.

Oh what luck!
Another fun one for me!

A ball after my own heart.
Oh how he just LOVED the sand.


Can you find my ball in this scene?
Neither could I.

He stopped right before the likely poisonous set of bushes.
At least I had a tad bit of luck that fine morning.

Not much to be said here.


Needless to say, my scorecard did not get much love that day.  But despite my horrid handling of my clubs that day, I tried my best to enjoy the event by focusing on those delightful things that didn't involve my sorrowful skill set.

The sublime views:

The dazzling weather: 


The out-of-a-movie course:
Golf course overlooking Charlotte Harbor



The adorable little snack bar on hole 10:

The apple barrel before the 9th tee: 


There's nothing like fresh, sweet, crisp
Fuji apples on ice after 8 rough holes.

And my lovely (and very patient) fam:


So even though I was beyond pathetic and didn't hit a decent shot to save my life, I had fun.  But when my parents announced they'd be hitting the course bright and early this morning, I opted out.  
Maybe tomorrow. 
Baby steps.


xoxo
KK

1 comment:

  1. I am exactly the same way! I get so frustrated with myself when i'm not good automatically! unfortunately, I usually end up taking it out on the people around me, LOL. I've tried golf a couple times, it's hard!!!

    Hope you have a happy Christmas!

    Bailey
    http://lostandfound-bailee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

We absolutely love hearing from you! Leave us a note here: