Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Birth of Burch

Christmas, 2006:
My mom - per usual - outdid herself with presents for us kids.  Gretters and I got all sorts of good stuff (Kate Spade messenger bags, Marc Jacobs sunglasses, Trish McEvoy Beauty Booster Face Cream) - oh the joys of having a trendy mother! 
       
1, 2, 3


Now while my mom has some serious self-produced style, occasionally she gets a tad bit of fashion help from the shopping gals at the fabulous Faye's boutique in our hometown of Milwaukee.  Ninety percent of Faye's selections are top notch, but there's about 10% that are just a little too out there for the Krieg family ladies.  Usually my mom is an ace at sticking to the best of the best, but sometimes those trusty shopping gals talk her into something outrageous.

This Christmas those giggling gals had done their fair share of talking and my mom ended up walking out from her shopping spree with a new pair of shoes for both Gretchen and I. 

They're the IT new thing! 
Everyone will be wearing these babies by March!
KK is spending the spring in New York?  Then she absolutely MUST have a pair of these!
It would be a crime to say no!


On Christmas morning, my mom saved these precious fashion-forward flats for last.  Gretch and I tore through the paper to reveal what I thought were the ugliest shoes I had ever laid eyes on.  Who is their right mind would wear these gaudy things?  And what was that god awful metal thing stuck in their center?  Hideous, hideous I tell you!

They looked something like this:
1 

I politely told my mom that I thought they were a little too much for me, but that I was very appreciative for the thought.  She tried to convince me of Faye's wise words but I would have none of it.  "Thanks, but no thanks.  I'll take some Jcrew ones instead." 

She returned them, a month went by and then I was in New York for my "semester abroad".  (Come on now, remember I grew up a Midwestern farm gal - NYC is just about as foreign as it comes!)  My first day there I decided to stroll up Fifth Avenue to take it all in.  As I gazed longingly at the windows filled with fashion's finest, a shining shimmer from the sidewalk caught my eye. 

It was an awfully familiar metal logo adhered to the front of a passerby's shoe.  I then saw another glint of gold.  I quickly scanned the rest of the sidewalk.  It looked something like this:

(Only with feet)
1

Within 23 seconds I had my mom on the phone:  "You know those shoes you got me for Christmas that I wasn't like totally obsessed with but that I thought were pretty good?  I've just been thinking - they'd actually be really great for walking in this gargantuan city.  And I just realized I am going to be doing a LOT of walking.  Maybe two pairs would be good?  Just to be safe?"



Almost five years later my shoe rack looks something like this:
  
 


And then guess what arrived from mom not too long ago:




Thanks Mom for not holding my initial (but fleeting I promise you!) thoughts on these fabulous gems of a pair against me.


Moral of the story: mom is always right!

xoxo
KK

No comments:

Post a Comment

We absolutely love hearing from you! Leave us a note here: