Monday, July 8, 2013

a flag cake

When I think of the Fourth of July, I don't think of fireworks or BBQ or even that signature red-white-and-blue décor, I think of cake. 

You see, my little brother (the one who played football in college and can pick up my sister and I in one easy swoop) always had an infinity for baking.  So much so that he wrote his college essay about how much he loves to bake and started his own baking business.  He and his partner in crime spent a summer delivering "Sweet Convenience" (as their business was called) to customers big and small. 

His love of baking resulted in our family spending many holidays in the kitchen baking together (or more often: watching Sam work his magic).  Fourth of July was no exception.  On this day, Sam always crafted a picture-perfect Texas sheet cake decked out in red, white, and blue berries and buttercream frosting.

July 4th Flag Cake 
from here
Stefan had just about the most un-festive Fourth of July imaginable: we spent the day indoors taking care of to-dos, we went out for Chinese for dinner, and we didn't watch the fireworks.
But the one thing I couldn't do without was that cake.  (And the memories that come with it.)
Since Stefan (being the Swiss cheese obsessionado that he is) is more of a cheesecake fan than a sheet-cake fan, I decided to modify accordingly.  I whipped up my absolute favorite recipe and then decked it out with berries accordingly.

This cheesecake recipe is totally killer and not the thick, dense, New-York-style variety you may know from the Cheesecake Factory.  So good in fact that one friend who declared he despises all cheesecake just moments before this cake was unveiled, ate not one, but TWO extra-large pieces and asked for a doggie bag to take home.  Only word of advice: don't skip the waterbath portion of the recipe - I once did and ended up with a concrete crust at the bottom of my pan.
Do you have any Fourth of July traditions you just can't do without?
xoxo
KK  

No comments:

Post a Comment

We absolutely love hearing from you! Leave us a note here: