Monday, July 9, 2012

too small to succeed?

I'm sure you've heard the terrible news.  I've been softly weeping when alone for several weeks now.


Oh you don't know exactly what I am referring to?
My favorite, neighborhood bakery, La Boulange, was bought by The Coffee Behemoth.  Don't get me wrong - I love me some Starbucks - but La Boulange was so pure, so innocent, so young and naive before he snatched her up.  Oh how I enjoyed her sweet Chais, her almond crossiants, her melt-in-your-mouth macaroons.  
I will seriously mourn if she becomes the next Au Bon Pain.  



If I were owner of such a charming chain, would I be able to resist that $100 million offer?  I think I, too, would sell my sweet sugar brioche's soul for that price tag.  Is any simple, yet precious store doomed to being snatched up by some big powerhouse as a product of its own success?  Is it possible for a small business to stay small and yet be triumphant, fruitful, extraordinary?


Just as my weeping began to get seriously concerning, Stefan arrived home from Switzerland with my favorite treat: Sprüngli chocolate.  


A box like this one runs you about 50 USD.  
But they are THAT good.  Seriously.


This time, however, he brought along a little something extra in addition to the chocolate - Sprüngli's amazing Luxemburgerli, their signature macaroons.



We had no trouble finishing all 16 ourselves.

But it wasn't just the sugar that lifted my spirits, it was the knowledge that Sprüngli is proof that it IS possible to stay small and independent whilst gaining insane success.  

You may not have heard of Sprüngli, but you've probably heard of Lindt (the master Swiss chocolatiers).  Well it happens that the founders of each were brothers - who at one time worked under the same Sprüngli roof.  While the older brother took off to expand for the masses, creating an industrial operation of chocolate produced and consumed worldwide, the younger brother kept it small and family-owned, focusing on product perfection rather than massive expansion.
1



Today that younger brother's vision remains intact - the Sprüngli storefronts are few, you can't buy it outside of die Schweiz, and much of the world will never taste his creations, but he's had incredible success - being recognized as one of the top chocolate makers in all the world.



1

In addition,  Sprüngli is considered a must-visit landmark in Zurich.  As I learned in my little research for this post, their original, classic chocolate cafe on Paradeplatz is a known to be the go-to spot for the elderly ladies of Zurich's upper class to brush shoulders. Local folklore has it that young men who attend the cafe alone may signal their availability to these well-to-do women by turning over their coffee spoons in their cups.  
2



Perhaps I shouldn't encourage my sexy, soon-to-be husband to bring me back chocolates from their flagship store.  I think the Zurich airport has all the selection I need. 

xoxo
KK

2 comments:

  1. All of that amazing chocolate looks, well, amazing! But I am SO sad to hear about La Boulange! Trying not to cry.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this post has left me wanting to buy boxes and boxes of chocolates! There is this dainty chocolate shop that sells Lindti chocolates. I need my chocolate fix asap. =)

    ReplyDelete

We absolutely love hearing from you! Leave us a note here: