Monday, November 14, 2011

Billsville, Part One

So as you all know (because most of the readers of this blog were with me), I was back in Williamstown for Homecoming this past weekend.  And what a weekend it was!  It was so fantastic in fact, that I'm going to have to divvy this story up into two parts.  You'll only get a taste of the first half to start.

I had been looking forward to the weekend for months.  I was already beyond pumped to see my little brother (whose not-so-little) start as tight-end on the Williams College Varsity team, catch up with my absolute best college friend and her lovely boyfriend, visit all my favorite little Williamstown watering holes, and spend time with my divine and loving family (my dad’s side of the family – his parents as well as his two sisters and their kids – all made the 3+ hour drive to watch the big game as well). 

The grandkids post-game
(from left to right: Gretters, cousin Em, cousin little Sam,
brother BIG Sam, cousin Jack, and me!)

But then – at the very last minute – my boyfriend rearranged his entire travel schedule so he could join in on the fun and see my absolutely magical college town for the very first time.  The weekend was bound to be an absolute ball.

Him and I took the red-eye from SF Thursday night arriving into Boston first of the group at 7:30am Friday morning.  Since he was making quite some sacrifice to attend the weekend (he'd need to wake up at 4am Sunday morning to catch a flight to Peru for a work trip), I agreed to be in charge of finding us the cheapest rental car possible. 

Like with any good travel search, I headed straight to www.kayak.com, searched for our times and dates, and reserved the cheapest option I could find: Dollar Thrifty at $12.99 a day.  The whole process took me less than 3 minutes.  Efficient - just how I like it.

When we arrived to pick up our car, however, they informed us there would be a few mandatory insurance charges each day - "no big deal" we were told.  But after the $13.99 per day protection for this and the $20.99 per day protection for that and the various other mandatory taxes and fees, our total per day came to a whooping $90.  Not exactly the cheapest option as I had intended.  I guess I'll spend a bit more time investigating options next time. 

After sorting out the rental car situation and making a quick stop at Starbucks for some much-needed caffeinated beverages, we were on our way through the beautiful New England mountains now peppered with orange, red, and yellow leaves crispy from the brisk fall air.  Because I have a massive obsession with anything farm-related (read about my love for the SF farmers' market here), I coerced Stefan into making a pit-stop at Hager's Farm Market for some fresh and cool Honey Crisp apples.  The store was adorably quaint, just a bit too little, and a tad on the dirty side – the perfect small town shop combination.





We crunched through our luscious apples as we finished off our final half hour of driving on the now snow-frosted, windy, mountain-top road.  (While Stefan wanted to bring his winter jacket, I had assured him he’d be fine in just his vest given the inevitable 55 degree weather and blazing sun I was sure we would see in Williamstown.  Unfortunately, my weather forecasting skills were a bit mistaken.  Apologies!) 

Once in wonderful Williamstown, we spent the afternoon with my brother Sammers – who helped me give Stefan a top-notch tour of the campus, much of which has been updated and renovated since my days there a mere 3 and a half years ago.  I didn’t recognize the faces, the buildings, nor the new drinking games he was describing to me.  I felt old.

 
1

We also hit up Goff's Williams Shop for a new Williams College Ephs sweatshirt for Stefan.  Yep, that's right.  Our college mascot is a purple cow whom we fondly call the Eph, but don't be mistaken, we've got all the fight of a bull in front of a big, waving red flag.

=
1

As soon as my parents and sister arrived, we headed over to the adorable little stone cottage they had rented for us to spend the weekend. 




 

Because my family absolutely hates to sit still, we wasted no time lacing up our running shoes and heading out for a rigorous 6+ mile power walk on Blair, a hilly dirt road that hasn’t changed one bit since my college years – it’s still got the most gorgeous views of the town and its surroundings you’ve ever seen. 
 
One artist's take on Blair's beauty
1

As we came around the last turn of the route, we spontaneously decided to make a pit-stop at the Orchards Hotel - another favorite spot to stay while visiting.  While the original motive was a bathroom, we ended up staying for the beers and champagne, celebrating my sister’s newly announced RAISE!  You go girl! 

The Orchards Hotel
1


After having our fill of good chatter and drink, we stumbled our way back to the cottage for some quick showers before dinner. 

The showering - while seemingly a simple act - turned out to be quite challenging for both Stefan and I.  Neither of us could figure out how to switch on this mysterious contraption.  We tried everything: switching all of the obvious levers and switches to the left and then the right, but nothing seemed to do the trick.



Finally (and surprisingly), it was I who figured this formidable puzzle out thanks to the above trusty little sticker available for all guests' showering assistance.  I bragged for hours about my superior shower hardware intelligence. 
(Never mind that the word "spout" was not yet in Stefan's English lexicon.  I am not ashamed - I take any leg up I can get.)

After conquering the shower, we headed over for dinner at the Purple Pub - one of Williamstown's TWO drinking establishments - with my absolute best friend from college and her fabulous boyfriend.  Over burgers, beers, and shots of Peppermint Schnapps, we caught up and pretended like we were college freshman using fake IDs.

Tune back in tomorrow for details from the ultra exciting homecoming football game Saturday.  It's a story not to be missed.

xoxo
KK

No comments:

Post a Comment

We absolutely love hearing from you! Leave us a note here: