Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Cakes gets CHOPPED

So I am totally and utterly obsessed with the Food Network TV show Chopped.  If you haven't seen it, you should definitely clear some time Tuesdays at 10pm, 9pm central.  It's basically a more efficient, more exciting, and much quirkier version of Iron Chef.  And you know how I feel about efficiency - can't get enough of the stuff! 

The 30-minute show goes like this:
Four chefs start by receiving a basket of the same four mystery ingredients - all of which have NOTHING to do with each other.  They then have 30 minutes to plan, prep, cook, and plate an amazing appetizer showcasing those four elements.  After the judges size up each chef's creation, one contestant gets CHOPPED leaving the remaining three chefs to duke it out in the entree course.  Same goes for the main course leaving only two for the dessert round.

The combination of mystery ingredients never fails to blow my mind.  Here's a typical line-up (which came from the Trick-or-Treat-themed episode, October 16, 2011):
  • Appetizer: pre-cooked chicken feet, poblano peppers, black radishes, fruit-flavored candy
12, 3, 4
  • Entree: blood sausage, frog legs, sea beans, Halloween candy
1, 2, 3, 4
  • Dessert: ossa dei morta, apple cider, ricotta salata, black licorice
1, 2, 3, 4


I could watch the show for hours.  In fact, I have.  On multiple occasions.

So I could not have been more excited when, not too long ago, my boyfriend suggested we do our own version of the competition.  His proposed plan was simple: we'd each bring home two mystery ingredients not having any idea what the other would procure.  I'd take on the appetizer, he - the dessert, and we'd tackle the entree together.

While that plan was fine and dandy, I like to be in charge so I decided to change the rules ever so slightly.  We'd still each bring home two ingredients, but I'd do all three courses.  He could be my judge.

The competition went something like this:

The four mystery ingredients: Chanterelle mushrooms and fresh figs from me, Mahi Mahi with Shrimp and Brussel Sprouts from him
(and a bottle of zinfandel of course)


The combination really had me stuck - I was betting that he would bring home a juicy piece of meat to match my savory mushrooms, but he had totally thrown me for a loop.  He doesn't even like shellfish!

Since fungi and fish just don't mate well, I decided to split them up - the 'srooms in the appetizer and the seafood in the entree.  For the appetizer, I pan-fried those little jewels of heaven with a tinsy bit of olive oil and a healthy helping of truffle salt - my answer to anything in need of a little savory spike.

We had a bit of rustic sour loaf as well as some strong yet creamy (think: meltable) sheep-milk cheese in the fridge so I tossed it all together as a little mushroom toast-let. 




For the main course, I tackled the side dish first.  I decided to oven-roast the brussel sprouts and sliced figs together with a pinch of salt and pepper.  Even if it turned out horrible, at least it would look pretty.  Fashion before function.


 
For the sea creatures, I used a classic (and perhaps a tad boring in hindsight) combination: garlic, garlic, olive oil, and more garlic. 
 
 
 
The finished product:
 
 
 
I hate to admit it, but I lost a bit of steam in the dessert round.  That and I just wasn't sure how to make those Chanterelles candy-like. 
 
I cheated: 
 
 
But Ina Garten just does it SO well!  They turned out pretty darn delicious and pretty darn pretty!
 
 
 
Now the moment you've all been salivating for: the scoring! 
(Technically, CHOPPED results in a chef being eliminated but since it was me, me, and only me we needed to pull in some Iron Chef stops as well.)
 
APPETIZER: 10 out of 10
Come on now, how can you go wrong with truffle and cheese?
 
ENTREE MAIN: 5 out of 10
Unfortunately, I cooked my shrimp a bit too long (there is such a thing as too much pink!) and the mahi mahi really lacked that flavor punch it needed to spice it up.  A delicious fig salsa to top it could have been the trick, but what's done is done (and eaten of course). 
 
ENTREE SIDE: 7 out of 10
The fig sprout combo was surprisingly good - a touch of sweet to balance out that hint of bitter.  Plus, the colors - how could you not fall in love?
 
DESSERT: 10 out of 10
While the baby cakes were devilish delicious, I am guessing I may be docked a few points once he reads the dirty little box of a secret behind those fluffy creations. 
 
 
This competition will most certainly not be the last so please tune back in again soon for more mouth-watering matchups. 
 
xoxo
KK
(aka. Cakes or Kakes - while I have traditionally gone by the latter, the former's first letter ties better with the word of my favorite TV show, hence its status as my title)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We absolutely love hearing from you! Leave us a note here: