Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Dinner with Miss. Bossy Balloons

So I know you're eager to hear about the weekend (and if you're not, you should be!), but you're going to have to wait just one day more.  But I promise - what I've got for you instead will make you totally forget (and glad for) the delay.

Back to my Boston trip last week:
So post amazing dinner at the Bristol Lounge Wednesday night, we – in true Krieg style – zonked out.  My family has an uncanny-like ability to sleep within seconds of our heads hitting a pillow. 

My brother Sammers


The most seasoned among us don't even require a pillow.  The art can be done while upright.



That night, we started a movie of some kind, but I was out before we got through the previews so I couldn't tell you what it was.  The next morning my mom and I were up early to hit the Four Seasons gym and then off to do some power shopping before I needed to head to my meetings.  (My dad had done his work-out hours before and was already simultaneously listening into six quarterly earnings conference calls while drafting a new client portfolio strategy and picking up the top market headlines from Bloomberg which was flickering on the TV in the background.  Someone has to earn the money that the rest of us spend.) 

On our way to Neimans, we started chatting about my gorgeous sis’ career path.  (Where is she you ask?  Unlike me, she has a super intense job where she actually has to work more than 40 hours a week.  When you get home from work after a 15-hour day, the thought of cranking out a posting to all of you isn’t all that enticing.  Sorry guys.  If you’re lucky, she’ll be back soon.  Maybe later today.  You never know.) 

Anyway, I casually mentioned that my dream job would be going into business with my sis.  We’d be doing something creative, Gretch would be the brains and the beauty behind our operation, but I would be the boss.  “That's too funny.  I have to be the boss of everything too,” my mom said.  “Sometimes I don't get it.  Gretch and I are so similar in so many different ways, but somehow she doesn’t have that same itch to be in charge.”

Me: “Well duh – it’s because she’s had to live with me her whole life.  She wasn't ever allowed to be the boss - she was always answering to me.”

The boss topic of conversation came back that evening while at dinner with my mom’s absolute best friend since childhood – Claire – from whom I got my middle name.  (Note to friends: if you’re extra nice to me, you’ll get a kid or two named after YOU.  I like fresh peonies, Domaine Carneros sparkling wine, and Kate Spade anything.) 

 
1, 2, 3


The four of us went to 75 Chestnut – an adorable, cozy, little bar and restaurant tucked away off Charles Street in Beacon Hill.  The tiny hideaway was a favorite watering hole for one of my best and most bubbly college friends and I when we lived on the hill together right out of college.  More on her (she’s fabulous) and our days there later.



My dad and I wasted little time getting Claire and Mom to spill stories from their childhood. 


First on Mom as a boss (like me!):

Claire: “Lizzy (your mom) was always creating clubs JUST so she could be the President.  A sailing club, a cooking club, a talking club.  Since I was her best friend, I always got to be Vice President which was a pretty good deal.  In order to be in our club, however, you’d have to do anything Lizzy deemed was appropriate that day.  One day she instructed Carol Schultz that she needed to jump off the roof of the boat house to earn her membership.”
Mom: “But she wouldn’t do it.  So I gave her a nice little nudge.”
Claire: “And then she broke her leg.”
Mom: “But she got in the club.  That’s all that matters.”


Next on Mom's adolescence (as a 10 year old):
Claire:  “You know your mom was the most popular girl in school?  She was the only one wearing a bra in the fourth grade."

Mom: "Hey, it's not all it's cracked up to be."
Claire: "I was as flat as a pancake, but not good old Lizzy here: they called her Balloons Gallun.”

As we chuckled over their side-splitting stories we enjoyed one of 75 Chestnut's finest perks: free cheese and crackers.

 

By the time we got to dessert, we were pretty full, but we decided to test my skills anyway.  There were a plethora of choices on the menu - one of which was their highly recommended Sinful Chocolate Trilogy.  While I tend to stay away from chocolately choices (as noted previously they usually disappoint), my mom was adamant about the Sinful selection - apparently our fine waiter's favorite. 

It was boss against boss.  Me vouching for the seasonal apple crumble and her - the Trilogy.  So we ended up with:

You guessed it: The Sinful Chocolate 
While I tried to snap a photo of the Chocolate madness before anyone secured a bite, my hands were not quick enough to the trigger.

About 24 seconds later the plate looked something like this:

What can I say?  Mom is always right!

Tune back in tomorrow for a cheesy weekend report.

xoxo
KK


No comments:

Post a Comment

We absolutely love hearing from you! Leave us a note here: