Monday, November 7, 2011

Burgers and Burgundy

Oh what a weekend I had!
But before you get to hear about that delightful deliciousness, I have to fill you in on my trip to Boston last week. 


So I’ve got some pretty awesome parents. 

The second my mom found out I had a business trip to Boston last week, she immediately booked a ticket to come join me.  While I’d love to think it was solely because she can’t bear the moments without me, I think my lovely room at the Four Seasons might have had something to do with it.  Oh how us Gallun gals love our luxury hotels.  (Note: I am using my mother’s maiden name here; my dad’s side of the family (the Kriegs) has chosen to prioritize other things in life – quality family time together, saving, giving back to those in need.  To each his own.)


   
 1, 2, 3

Then at the last minute, my dad decided he would join us as well.  He had a very important family meeting in the city on Wednesday morning and my brother’s Williams College football game at Wesleyan on Saturday morning.  By hitching a spot in our room, he could bridge the time and save the pennies from an expensive flight back to Milwaukee.  I should note that my parents attend every single one of my brother’s Williams College football games, flying from Milwaukee to Boston (2.5+ hours) and then driving the 3+ hour journey from Boston to Williamstown (or to an away game location) every single weekend.  Like I said: pretty awesome parents.  (I hope you appreciate that Sam.  I only got attendance at every other field hockey game when I was in college.) 


Yes, this is my brother's current haircut.  Sam - I think your style last year (see top photo from 2010 Homecoming) had a leg up on this one.

Anyway, I was supposed to get in around 5pm Wednesday evening but due to some delays on the West Coast, my arrival time got pushed back to 7:30.  My parents wasted no time making themselves comfortable – checking into our gorgeous and luxurious room (did I mention how much I love five star hotels?) and then enjoying some drinks at the hotel bar – the Bristol Lounge.  When I arrived they were already a few beers in, on a first-name basis with the maitre-d, bartender, and sommelier (even though they don’t drink wine), and having a ball of a time.  Like I said: pretty awesome parents.  I quickly joined in on the fun ordering a glass of Malbec and filling them in on the latest.

The night was already bound to be a blast, but then we noticed it was a special evening at the Bristol Lounge: Burgers and Burgundy Wednesday.  Now I was born and raised an American so I LOVE a good, juicy, cheesy burger, but I also date a European so I have some serious respect and adoration for fine Burgundy reds.  In fact, my boyfriend and I have gone wine tasting in the Burgundy TWICE – more on that later.  To add to this already fantastic offering, the Bristol Burger is supposedly world-renowned, winning awards all over the place.  My dinner decision had been made.





My dad - while a burger lover – is also a beer lover, so he decided to stick with his pilsners and try one of the burgers a la carte.  The two of us each went for a different version – me the Montrachet with a side of mixed greens and him the Croque Madame with the house-made, white truffle fries.  I decided I’d try to be at least a little healthy by opting for the greens instead of those tortuously delicious truffled treats.  My mom went the totally heart-friendly route opting for a salad with chicken. 

When the dinners arrived, however, my mom and I wasted no time snitching a few of my dad’s heavenly fries (as noted previously – truffle can never not be good).  “Have as many as you want,” he told us generously, which we then of course took literally, chomping through his entire portion until they were completely gone.  Sorry Dad, but they were SO good!

1

Now onto the burgers: I’ll admit it, like with most things in life, I had extremely high expectations.  I was expecting to be blown away.  The Four Seasons had been set up for failure.  But not only were my expectations met, they were exceeded, and by a long shot. 

The buttery, flaky bun had been toasted to perfection – a soft yet crunchy top and bottom blanket for the absolute treasure chest inside: a beyond divine hunk of prime ground beef oozing with succulent, juicy goodness topped with rich, creamy, silky goat cheese and flavor-filled, mouth-inspiring over dried tomatoes and roasted garlic.  Unreal.

 
1

I was in absolute heaven dining on this bellylicious beauty of a burger, but I held myself to only one half of its beastliness.  I also happen to have a serious sweet-tooth and wanted to save room for a final course. 

If you know me, you probably know that I pride myself in being the BEST dessert order-er there ever was.  Yep, that’s right.  I have NEVER made a poor dessert choice.  After having done my rounds on dessert menus around the globe (and even some above the globe – thank you Space Camp! – more on that another time), I have come up with a few quick heuristics to help you also dine in dessert ecstasy.

KK’s Dessert Ordering Rules of Thumb:
  1. Never order the chocolate cake.  It’s always bound to disappoint.
  2. Anything in the bread pudding, banana, or sticky toffee pudding family is guaranteed to be good.
  3. Deep fried is hard to do bad.
  4. In the event of emergency, the chocolate brownie sundae is a boring, but solid, back-up option.
While these are good things to keep in mind (and will likely steer you in the right direction most of the time), dessert ordering is really an art form that can only be mastered after years of hard-work, experience, dedication, and experimentation.   

Among Bristol’s choices were a Vanilla Bean Crème Brûlée, a Chocolate Devil's Food Tower Layered with Truffle Ganache, a Pineapple Coconut Financier with a Passion Fruit Reduction, a Dark Chocolate Praline Candy Bar with Cassis Chambord Coulis, and then finally their seasonal special: petite, spiced, maple-glazed, pumpkin donuts with maple pecan ice cream and a sword of chocolate almond brittle.  As soon as he said it, I knew Rule #3 was reigning supreme on this one. 



As would be expected given that I had made the decision, the donuts were decadently godly.  Words cannot even begin to do justice to their perfectly moist texture and lovely yet balanced pumpkin-y maple flavor.  My parents tried to thank me, but I told them there was no need: it was just another day at the office.  (For a coveted spot at my one-week seminar on the Art and Joy of Dessert Ordering, please inquire within.)

Now this was just the start of this fabulous two-day family affair, but since I’ve been told I will soon encounter a bad bout of writer’s block (thanks for the heads up Dickie Boy!), I’m trying to string these tales out as long as I can manage.  So tune back in tomorrow to hear about Thursday night’s hilarious and equally delicious dinner with my mom’s best friend and my middle-namesake: Claire. 

And then we'll get onto this past weekend.

xoxo
KK

No comments:

Post a Comment

We absolutely love hearing from you! Leave us a note here: