Tuesday, February 28, 2012

a knock to my knuckle

So as you may have read in my proposal post, when Stefan bought my engagement ring, he guessed on my size based on the relative girth to his pinky.

When I first tried the little number on while mountain-top, my swollen fingers wouldn't allow the gorgeous gift on, but when we got back to our hotel later that night, I got it on with (almost) no trouble.



Over the past month and a half, however, I've noticed it tough to get on and off.  Once on, it's totally fine and comfortable and wonderful, but the getting on and off part has proven tricky.  I was slow to admit it (as I loved the idea that Stefan had guessed at my absolute perfect size), but I finally decided that I might need a bigger version.
So, I thought it would be a worthwhile exercise to go to our jeweler and look into a slight stretching.

We were excited for the excursion - it was first time I would get to see the spot where they had custom "built" my ring and to meet the people who had crafted it.  When we arrived, we were warmly welcomed by the shop's owner who congratulated us on our new engagement.  We explained the reason for the visit and he asked to take a look at my finger.

I held it out, ring and all.



"Now THAT'S a knuckle!  Wow!  No wonder you're having trouble getting the ring on and off of THAT thing!"

He turned back to the work room.

"Hey, Jason!  You gotta get out here and look at this!"
He turned back to me.
"I'm sorry, but you just don't see these kind of knuckles everyday."

I knew I had big fingers, but I didn't know their shape was so extraordinary to warrant a full jeweler jabber fest.  I mean, come on: how many hands had these guys seen?

"You see," the man started. "The problem with your finger is that the ring isn't too small - in fact, it's almost a little too big."

He took hold of the ring and slid it to the left and right on my finger.

"See that - it shouldn't be moving like that.  The part of your finger where the ring sits is actually quite small.  Normally, we'd go even smaller.  But with you, with THAT knuckle, we can't go any smaller, because then you couldn't get it on and off."

"So what do I do?" I asked, still recovering from the revelation that I have some of the most humongous knuckles known to womankind.

"Just don't take it off."  He said smiling.

So while the excursion gave my left hand's self esteem a bit of a knock, it allowed me to hold onto the fact that Stefan had, in fact, actually chosen my exact right size.
Now, I'd say that's a pretty perfect match.



xoxo
KK

3 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm no knuckle expert but your hands couldn't look any more normal to me!! Gorgeous ring by the way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that ring! And um... yeah, your knuckles look perfectly fine! I don't know what they're talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I agree with everyone else, your knuckles definitely don't look monstrous... pretty ring, too!

    ReplyDelete

We absolutely love hearing from you! Leave us a note here: