Thursday, February 2, 2012

routine run

With all my traveling and the rain here of late, it had been awhile since I'd done my signature morning run.  Despite the dearth of distance, I hadn't thought much of it.  Catching up on the latest headlines via CNN and the latest heartbreaks via Us Weekly while elliptical-ing my work-out away had had its pros.  But when the clouds finally cleared and I headed back out for my loop this morning, I was surprised at how much I had missed it.


After doing the run countless times, it had become methodical to me - no longer a journey through San Francisco's finest, but rather an hour to zone out and organize my day - what I'd do, who I'd call, where I'd go.

This morning, however, with distance between my routine run and I, I found myself enjoying all sorts of little pleasures I had long since forgotten were mine for the taking.

That frosty carpet of fog that blankets Chrissy Field's grass
in the wee hours of the morning - can you see it there?

Those familiar faces whom I always seem to see at
exactly the same time and place each morning:
the pair of 70-something lovebirds holding hands on their morning walk,
the crazy marathon-er who can get to the bridge and back before one song
on my iPod has played through,
the jolly Asian fellow who never forgets to say hello

The warming hut before the hustle and bustle

The pocket of land peaking out beneath the Golden Gate
peppered with surfers waiting to hop into the icy
blue Pacific for their first, fantastic wave

The sun peaking through those gorgeous California trees

I was so in love with taking it all in, I even zapped off my pod (unheard of for me!) - listening only to the waves and wind and whispers of my fellow morning mates. 

It's amazing how easy it is to take things you have available all the time - no matter how spectacular - for granted.

xoxo
KK

No comments:

Post a Comment

We absolutely love hearing from you! Leave us a note here: