Tuesday, October 9, 2012

a belated birthday

Did you know that a week and a day ago was my mom’s birthday?  While I wasn’t able to celebrate with her on the day-of like last year, I was lucky enough to spend this past weekend celebrating with her and my dad and my sister and my two fabulous grandparents – Nana and Pops. 

On Friday, we all made our way up to Kennebunkport, Maine: the charming little beach town where Nana and Pops have an adorable riverside bungalow.  Because they’re re-doing the entire place (it’s going to be awesome), we stayed down the street at the lovely Breakwater Inn & Spa.

 
The rooms were lovely,
 
as was the view.

Friday night we went out to the fancy schmancy EARTH restaurant where we dined on melt-in-your-mouth swordfish, grown-up-fried-string-cheese and what I called Russian roulette peppers (1 in 10 was deathly spicy – I like spice, but when I say deathly, I mean you’re not able to think straight for the next 20 minutes and there isn't anything you can do to fix it.  Trust me - I tried.)   
 
1
 

For dessert, we went Liz-Krieg-style: just a prosecco and some more good conversation before we headed home for a Diet Coke before bed.



But the thing with Mom is that even though we were celebrating her, per usual, she made it all about us – asking us the questions, treating us to the meal (with a gift certificate Nana & Pops had given them to treat themselves), and making us feel like we were the ones getting spoiled (which we most certainly were).  She has an incredible way of making all those around her feel comfortable and just so at home. 

Did you know that for the two work conferences I’ve had over the past month (one in Washington DC and one in Boston right before this past weekend), she’s flown out to see me and keep me company?  She'd do her own thing while I had to work but was always available whenever I had a moment free.  It was so, so nice to catch up with her while working out or grabbing a drink or munching on dinner or doing just a little shopping.  And it’s not like she doesn’t have enough travel on her plate this fall – her and my dad fly from Wisconsin to the East Coast to watch my brother play football Every. Single. Weekend.



 

Pretty awesome parents if you ask me.

xoxo
KK

No comments:

Post a Comment

We absolutely love hearing from you! Leave us a note here: