Wednesday, October 17, 2012

things you can't have

So last week when I went shopping for our little get-together on Saturday night, I spotted an old friend - tucked in between heirloom tomatoes and foreign-grown papaya - that I haven't seen in ages.

Can you find him? 

Which one of these does not belong?

Well, it was Mr. Persimmon of course! 
Was he finally back in season on the West Coast?  Just like last year, I could hardly contain my excitement at the thought of his sweet juices dribbling down my chin.

As I began to clean the shelf off of its orange contents, I had the common sense to ask the women stocking mushrooms how much they cost. 
"$2 a piece." 
TWO WHOLE BUCKS A PIECE!?!?  Despite the excruciating difficulty, I limited my purchasing to one promising myself a trip to the Fort Mason Farmer's Market (the Ferry Building's smaller and less touristy cousin) Sunday morning to purchase a proper allotment (no less than 10 pounds). 

But when we headed to Fort Mason, it was clear persimmon season was not in full swing.  Rather than the usual plentiful selection of copious varieties, there was ONE teeny bin containing only the smallest, most petite versions.  We got a bag nonetheless, chomping through half of it before we even got back to the car.

Since then, it's been nothing but persimmons on the brain.  When - oh when! - will these succulent spheres come back in full force?  It's amazing how when you can't have something, it becomes so, so, so much more attractive. 

And it's amazing how it's true for things that might not even seem to be that attractive in the first place.  A few weeks ago I injured my foot.  Randomly, in the middle of work one day, I found myself unable to put pressure on the ball of my right foot.  The doctors attributed it to a sprained tendon, perhaps from overuse (although my running had been lacking of late), but their prescription was simple: no running for two weeks.

After those two weeks, there was NOTHING I wanted to do more than run, run, run.  And while that first trek out was a tough one (it's amazing how much you lose in such a short period of time), there was nothing more glorious in that moment. 




I mean - come on! - what's not to love about a jog through this forest as the sun peaks through to soak up last night's dew? 

Counting the minutes until I can head back to the farmer's market to check on the status of the above mentioned item.


xoxo
KK

No comments:

Post a Comment

We absolutely love hearing from you! Leave us a note here: