Wednesday, January 25, 2012

crepe crush

So since Stefan headed off to LatAm bright and early yesterday morning, last night I decided to grab a glass of wine with the fabulous Sarah Jenks of The Breathtaking BrideAlways up to the date on coolest little niches the city has to offer, she suggested Two Sisters Bar and Books in Hayes Valley: a tiny little quaint and adorable hole-in-the-wall.

1, 2

As we sipped our happy hour wine ($5 a pop) and noshed on their creamy, spicy Camembert paired with the sisters' mom's homemade port strawberry jam, Sarah filled me on her latest project: The Breathtaking Bride Booty Camp.  In it, she teaches women (brides, wives, single ladies - you name it) how to have a rockingly awesome engagement/marriage/life full of fun, fun, and more fun while still losing weight and looking good.  Sarah's teachings are pure gold - seriously, the girl's the next Geneen Roth (with more style and sass).  Sign up for her words now while they're cheap cause I guarantee you'll be shelling out $9,999 for one of her seminars in a year or two.

 
Geneen, Sarah

Around 7:45pm,  post catch-up and cheese, I was ready to snuggle into bed and pass out (I DID wake at 5:15am to drive my man to the airport), but I needed a tad something more to hold me over until breakfast.  As I walked down Hayes to get to my car, I stumbled upon frjtz - a fabulous little Belgium bar known for their fantastic fries and choice crepes (made San Francisco style with Buckwheat flour as the base). 

1, 2, 3

I hadn't had a crepe in years! And with buckwheat - how bad for the butt could it be?  I ordered myself their Vermeer - fresh off the griddle stuffed with sweet Strawberry jam. 

The second I took a bite, I immediately remembered my last taste of this delicious delicacy: I was 13, in my hanna anderson striped pajamas, sitting on the counter in my parents' kitchen, devouring the paper-like pancakes my dad had just flipped from his frying pan.  

My dad always used to make us breakfast on weekends.  Saturdays, we'd wake to the smell of bacon and come bolting down the stairs to see what he was working on for us that morning.  While he's a whiz when it comes to just about anything (eggs, souffles, popovers, muffins, financial portfolios), my favorite was always his crepes, which he crafted with just a tad bit of help from his friends over at Williams-Sonoma.



The thing I realized about crepes (while I munched through my buckwheat variety) is that they're actually the perfect little treat - so decadent and delicious, yet so thin and light.  You can eat one and feel like you've just had the most luxurious dessert imaginable, but also feel light enough to squeeze into your skinny jeans.  The crepe was a symbol of Sarah's teachings in a way - you CAN totally and completely enjoy yourself without overdoing it. 


Greetings my new fav friend. I'll be back for more very soon.
1

xoxo
KK 

1 comment:

  1. ah i love frjtz! i posted about it here:
    http://zuccherozucchero.blogspot.com/2011/01/coming-up-rose.html

    i need to go back!

    ReplyDelete

We absolutely love hearing from you! Leave us a note here: