Tuesday, January 24, 2012

pink to grey

So while I hate to admit it, if you know me you know it's pretty darn true: I'm a pretty habitual person.  I have a set way of doing things - a tried and true method I like and that I know works for me (a Starbucks coffee before a run, a to-do list with pen and paper, a call to my mom on the way to work), so I'm often at a loss as to why I should risk trying something that might not be perfection for my personal predilection. 

But this mindset is not one for which I'm proud, so as one of my 2012 resolutions, I decided to work on shaking it up just a bit more.

Not too long ago, after a tough day at the office, I treated myself to a $20 mani-pedi.  As I b-lined it to my go-to Essie Ballet Slipper Pink, I caught myself and redirected opting for a dark, daring Power Clutch bottle instead. 



I was nervous as they painted my talons grey debating about whether I should halt the process mid-procedure, but in the end, I played the whole thing out.  And now the color has really worn on me.  I might never go back. 

Immediately post procedure sans ring. 
I am still terrified to get the gorgeous thing dirty -
particularly during a quick (and cheap) mani. 
It's a mystery to me how all engaged/married women
adapt to this hunking thing on their hand.
Seriously - how do I wash dishes?

With my new fav accessory.
A winning combo if you ask me!

Then after 1.5 years of running the exact same route, I decided to start taking a new path every jog.  It's not always as good as my scenic and hilly Pacific-rimmed fav, BUT I've discovered all sorts of hidden San Francisco treasures tucked away where I might never have found them if it weren't for my new mission to mill about.


Some upside down trees

A totally lovely San Francisco Fire Department
Just what I like to see: keeping our city safe IN STYLE

A very odd but enchanting Asian-style balcony

A hilltop park with unreal morning views of the city
 
I even opted to shake it up with my accessories switching out my 9-year-old RL glasses and purchasing a new pair of specs from the fantabulous Lookmatic (seriously coolest lenses EVER at 88 buckaroos a pop - Rx and free shipping BOTH ways included).


I didn't say all my experiments ended excellently.
These little (sorry - BIG) guys got promptly sent back.
I'll admit it: I look like a fool.

Overall, the exploring has been liberating, but even better: eye opening.  It's amazing how often when we do something all the time exactly the same way, we're no longer present when we do it.  Sure, our body is there going through the motions (getting our fingers and toes pampered, jogging down a trail, gazing through our glasses) but our mind - our mind is some place totally different.  Changing it up here and again on even the simplest of rituals brings me back to the moment - totally present and aware, able to savor every last second of the act in all its glory. 

Perhaps I'll try some sparkly gold leopard print at my next nail appointment.

xoxo
KK

No comments:

Post a Comment

We absolutely love hearing from you! Leave us a note here: