Thursday, March 1, 2012

thrifty thursday: starbucks

So as you may have deduced from this blog, I like really nice things. 
I like to wear really nice things. 
I like to do really nice things. 
And I like to eat really nice things. 

And while as a well-paid, 20-something with no dependents and no real responsibilities, I could afford to spend frivolously and fancy free, now that I'm joining forces (and bank accounts) with another human, I need to be more cognisant of my choices.

SO in an effort to be a bit more money savvy, I'm initiating a new weekly tradition: thrifty thursdays, where I'll bring you a little tid-bit on saving your pennies. (See Stefan - I'm trying!)  And this week I'm bringing you a sneaky little trick I saw pulled this week at my local Starbucks. 

Now, let's be honest - coffee tastes a hella lot better when the baristas at Starbuckarinas brew it for you.  BUT that coffee comes with a mighty high price tag.  We're talking close to $5 for a venti iced latte.


But it's just so good!
1
This week - while waiting in line to order myself an iced skinny vanilla blend - I overheard the gentleman in front of me ordering:

"A double shot of espresso,
in a venti cold cup,
over ice filled to the top."

I watched as he picked up his order, walked over to the sugar/milk bar, and filled his venti glass with 2% all the way to the brim.  He had just gotten himself a venti iced latte for the bargain price of a double shot of espresso: $1.90.  Brilliant.


1


The next morning I tried it with my favorite hot beverage of choice - the americano with sugar-free vanilla, typically coming in around the $3 mark.  Instead of the americano, I ordered myself a double shot of espresso in a grande cup with a shot of the succulent syrup (which - if you're a Starbucks Gold Card holder, which I obviously am - is 100% free with any beverage) ringing up at - you guessed it - $1.90.  I then walked back up to my office and completed my drink with some totally free hot water.  Delicious.

Important side note: If you're a Starbucks drinker and you don't have a Gold Card, you are seriously missing out.  All you need to do is register a gift card (you can purchase one for yourself), buy 30 drinks on that card, and then they send you - complete with your name and year of entry into the uber exclusive and elite club - your Gold Card, which then allows you to a free beverage every 15 drinks, unlimited refills on drip coffee and tea, free beverage customization (syrups and soy milk), and a free birthday beverage. 

POTENTIAL SAVINGS: $1-3
(dependent upon your local Starbucks and beverage(s) of choice)

Good luck savers!

xoxo
KK

2 comments:

  1. love love love the idea of Thrifty Thursdays ;) I'm currently on day 63 of a 100 spending freeze (on clothing and accessories). It's SO hard, but I know it's worth it! so happy to have stumbled on your blog! though I'm not a coffee drinker, this is a brilliant idea! have a happy Friday! xoxo {av}

    ReplyDelete
  2. doing the gold card thing the second i get back to the states

    ReplyDelete

We absolutely love hearing from you! Leave us a note here: