Monday, April 16, 2012

kindness unrecognized

Not too long ago - as I was rushing to meet a girlfriend for dinner - I pulled into a 60-minute-only metered parking spot, knowing full well I was going to be longer than an hour.  I was late, late, late already and didn't have time to hunt for another spot after having driven around for way too long.  I fed the meter its max and then sprinted down the block to my date.



As we chatted and sipped and munched, I tried not to think about the $75+ ticket that was sure to be waiting for me when we finished.  Why hadn't I just done valet for $15?  That surely would be cheaper than the honking check I was about to write to the city of San Francisco. 

Walking back to my car a full two hours post parking, I knew a big mistake had been made.  As I drew closer to my car, however, I realized my windshield was sans ticket.  How could this be?
I glanced over at the meter.  It was blinking green - not the signature red of a meter craving coins.  I hadn't gotten a ticket because my spot hadn't been unpaid for.  Someone had fed my meter while I was dining.

My mind raced at the thought.  What had possessed some total stranger to grant me with such kindness?  How did they think I was going to recognize them? thank them? repay the favor?

But that was just it, they didn't expect any kind of recognition.  And that's what made it feel oh-so good.

So instead of hoping in my car and cruising off happy as clam for this ticket-free evening, I walked down the street and spent $4.75 filling all the meters that were empty or nearly empty on the block. 


You never know what my less-than-$5 spontaneous surprise might inspire.

xoxo
KK

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely story! So neat that you went back and paid the others! Pay it forward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, that is so awesome! You definitely payed it forward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I loved this! You paid it forward in a wonderful way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice people still exists! It's awesome that you paid it forward :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great! Loved this story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pleasant story. Its so funny because I've only been to San Francisco once, but I remember constantly running back to the car to beat the meter maid! We don't have them where I live so it was different. AND THOSE TICKETS ARE SO EXPENSIVE!!! Lucky someone was there to help you out :)

    ReplyDelete

We absolutely love hearing from you! Leave us a note here: