Thursday, April 5, 2012

thrifty thursday: pack a picnic

So this past Friday night, I was tasked with planning a surprise date for Stefan and I.  With Stefan a bit under the weather last week, we had spent too many nights in so I wanted to go out, but I also didn't want to break the bank on a fancy schmancy dinner.
So I decided to meet somewhere in the middle. 

With the top down on our little convertible, I picked Stefan up from the office at 6pm and drove the two of us across the Golden Gate.  I winded along the coastal highway parking us at a little hidden look-out point with gorgeous views of the bridge and the Pacific.

While I planned on having us enjoy the views from outside the car,
the San Francisco weather worked it's magic as we crossed the GG
changing from sunny to sullen within minutes. 
I think it's still gorgeous.

I then revealed my surprise: a picnic packed with a crunchy baguette, fresh smoked salmon, some juicy strawberries, and a half bottle of Frog's Leap wine.





All for the bargain price of $20.
(Which, when you're comparing to 2 glasses of wine + appetizers out anyplace in this town of ours, is a pretty good deal.)

We sipped and chatted and munched and sipped as we admired the beautiful blue ocean and enjoyed each other's company. We then buzzed down to the Farley Bar at Cavallo Point, full enough to just split some popcorn and a nicoise salad. 

1

By the time we were home, the night had felt like a first-class, balls-to-the-wall, decadent night out, but hadn't cost us like one.

So this week's thrifty tip?
Next time you're craving eating out but want it to cost you like you're eating in, pack a picnic and go enjoy it someplace fabulous.  For absolutely no extra cost, I'll bet you can find better views than that pricey wine bar down the street.

xoxo
KK

No comments:

Post a Comment

We absolutely love hearing from you! Leave us a note here: