Thursday, April 26, 2012

thrifty thursday: salad dressing

I have a bad habit of doing a lot of salads out.
And they're not even fancy, hard-to-make-at-home salads.  They're your everyday greens, veggies, and chicken type salads.  Hardly worth the $10ish price tag when I could so easily toss on my own.

But it's not the spinach that has me coming back for more, it's the dressing. Especially when I'm ordering from Blue Barn and I know they make all theirs from scratch with only the purest and most delicious ingredients. 

Their Whole Grain Mustard Vinaigrette = Absolute Addiction for this girl

(And their Master-Cleanse, Miso-Ginger, and Champagne-Sumac aren't too shabby either.)

Blue Barn is so confident in the purity of their blend that they'll give you a full list of ingredients for any dressing on their menu.  With the secrets to their sauce, I've tried to perfect it at home, but I just can't get it right.  I'm always back at their blue door for more.

And that's where this week's thrifty trick comes in:


Simply ask for an extra thing of dressing
when ordering to-go
(which as mentioned previously,
is often)

Sometimes they charge me 50 cents, sometimes they don't.
Sometimes the woman looks at me as though I am the greediest green-lovin' gal there ever was, sometimes she just tosses it in.

The result is always the same: I'm able to make myself the exact same Blue Barn salad I love at home for a fraction of the cost. 
$3 versus $10.
That adds up if you're picking up as often as me.

Do you have a take-out dressing you can't live without?  Any secret mustard dressing recipes you can't help but share?

xoxo
KK

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm. Blue Barn?! I have never heard of this! I am going to see where the closest one is to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So smart! Eating salads out really can be so expensive but I'm a sucker for the dressings also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when I find SF blogs! I love that you did this. I haven't been to Blue Barn yet but i must try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummmmm, I'm such a salad fan! I'm with you though, it definitely adds up! I try to buy as many veggies as I can to keep it interesting, but sometimes take out is the only option (or Whole Foods, where I constantly shell out $16 for a take home salad - I get wayyy carried away).
    So jealous you're SF based - that's one of my favorite cities in the world! Love your blog, pretty girl! xox

    ReplyDelete

We absolutely love hearing from you! Leave us a note here: